Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Saturday, August 8, 2009

Knitting and Sleeping

Sleep that knits up the ravell'd sleeve of care. Macbeth, Act II Scene ii

In my life, these two things are both as necessary as breathing--and also prevent each other from happening. If I sleep, I can't knit, and if I knit, I stay up late and sleep deprivation sets in.

I have many things going through my mind, and a knitting and sleeping and caring blog seems appropriate right now. Knitting--and crochet, and several other yarn crafts--is my main creative outlet at the moment. I've been on a serious knitting jag for the past 8 months or so. I'm learning so much about knitting from my Ravelry friends, especially through the endearingly geeky "Harry Potter Knit and Crochet House Cup." I'm a Ravenclaw, through and through... is anybody surprised by this? I think not.

And I know for a fact that my sleep-deprivation adds to my sense of depression and being overwhelmed by the world. When I'm sleep-deprived my temper gets shorter and my ability to care lessens. And there are just so many things in my current life I need to care for: my son, my husband, my cat, my dog, the children in my preschool classroom. When a knitting project takes me away and I lose sleep, who really benefits? But if I don't knit... then who benefits?

So here I will explore: to knit, or not to knit. That is the question! Will I ever stop knitting? I somehow doubt it. Finding balance, now--that sounds like a wonderful idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment