Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Monday, August 10, 2009

Crochet--it's the new knitting!


I used to hate to crochet. My fingers always got crampy, everything came out too big. I admit: I never really learned to do it properly. I learned something I thought was right, and guess what--it wasn't right.

Not too long ago I crocheted some shoes. I had to do it. They were shoes. It never occurred to me that one could make shoes with yarn, and when I saw a pattern, I had to try it. And that's when I realized I was, er, doin it rong. To quote LOL Catz. For the first time in my life I found a crochet tutorial and learned the proper way to do a Single Crochet, Half Double Crochet, Double Crochet, and Triple Crochet. I saw the light, I tell you: I've been doing a Double Crochet incorrectly and calling it a Single Crochet. No wonder everything always turned out twice normal size.

Which leaves me pondering: why do I resist learning to do things properly? Crochet isn't the only thing I've ever skipped over steps and instructions on. When I take the time and get some instruction, amazingly enough I get better at what I'm doing. Take, for example, the above Lucario Pokemon doll, crocheted by me over three days and now comfortably ensconced in my son's bed, the new favorite toy (at least until next week). :) He's shown here in the company of my son and the Pikachu I made earlier this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment